When it comes to music production, there is plenty of software out there that you can use to make your soundtrack or track sound amazing - Ableton, Adobe Audition and Garageband being a few options out there on the market.
However, one piece of music software that is growing with increasing popularity is FL Studio. This has powerful features that give you a professional final sound when it comes to mixing and mastering your tracks. You can mix and master any genre, including hip hop, rock and pop, with a whole host of effects that can be used to dramatic effect.
If you take your music seriously, this might already be starting to interest you. But one thing that could be worrying you right now is: does my laptop have enough CPU power to give you smooth mixdowns and playback on each element of your track?
More often than not having a lot of elements playing in your track is going to be very difficult if you do not have a computer that runs at a sufficient speed. If you have ever experienced stuttering or freezing on your computer, then you’ll know exactly what we’re talking about. Having the right laptop for the job is crucial.
You might also prefer a laptop as these devices are portable and allow you to mix in a variety of locations. It will also make file transferring a lot easier, allowing you to have a mobile studio that allows you to go to several different locations to record various instruments.
So which are the best laptops that you can use for your FL Studio program? What features and materials should a laptop have to give you the very best in terms of portability and functionality? How much can you be looking to spend on a decent quality laptop for your music production software?
Well, if you do want to splash out on FL Studio for your music, then you should definitely read on. We’ve compiled a list of some of the best music software currently available on the market. We also have a buyer’s guide that will help you when it comes to deciding between the good and bad laptops, along with some frequently asked questions.
OUR TOP PICK
Our first laptop is great in terms of both performance and portability, coming with a thin and compact aluminum frame that you can be sure will be easy to carry as well as being durable.
This laptop will have no problem when it comes to processing various multi-tracks at once, giving you great playback and fast mixdown sessions - introducing the Razer Blade 15 Base Gaming Laptop.
This comes with a gigabyte ethernet port, which is great if you are having to send files quickly from one site to another. This has a great display screen that will enable you to pinpoint your track and giving you a great visual display. This has a 10th generation Intel core processor, which is great for running many apps and programs at once.
This computer has a large memory capacity, which is perfect when it comes to mixing and holding many different tracks at any one time. Having a laptop that does not stutter or give you any negative feedback will be very important if you are working with other people and want to deliver a professional product.
- The design - this laptop is not only thin but it is made from an extremely durable material. Whether it is spills or impacts from dropping, you won’t have to worry about your laptop experiencing any damage.
- The speed - having great processing power is all that you need for a good laptop. Half the battle is finding something with good CPU power that is capable of holding many different tracks at a time.
- This laptop is designed for gaming, so you can be sure of something that will be able to handle incredible processing power and high framerates. This will be ideal for repeated playbacks.
- Having plenty of storage space on your hard drive is also crucial when it comes to holding multiple tracks - if you want a horn section, you can be looking at upwards of 8 tracks for those alone!
- Some users have complained of flickering on the monitor, which will be very difficult when it comes to keeping track of each instrument. It’s not all about the ears, you know!
This next computer boasts having an Intel Core that gives you great playback on your home movies and gameplay, so you can be certain that it will be able to handle the FL Studio interface quite easily!
This has great playback with a surround sound boost that will give you everything you need for crystal clear sound - introducing the Acer Predator Triton 500 Gaming Laptop.
This comes with plenty of generation 2 USB slots, which will be great for transferring your session mixes from one laptop to another without having to wait for wifi. This also comes with a colorized keyboard that will help you to navigate your way around your sound editing software.
This boasts having real-world spatial sound, which will obviously be very important when it comes to sound production. This markets itself as having 360-degree sound, which will allow you to pick out every instrument with high definition precision. When it comes to playback, this is probably one of the best laptops on the market.
- The sound quality - with high definition surround sound, you can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need for optimal sound playback, sound levels and mixing.
- This laptop is designed to cope with high-level gameplay, so when it comes to processing anything, it will be done in super-quick time.
- This computer will be able to process a high level of sound at a very fast rate, so you won’t have to worry about your computer going slow or stuttering issues. This is a laptop that should only be used by the pros!
- The colorized computer will allow you to keep track of all of your music tracks, allowing you to designate certain hotkeys that will make the process of editing and mixing all the speedier.
- Some users have complained that the customer service on this laptop is not that great, with the company taking ages to get back to users who are experiencing difficulty with their computer.
This next laptop comes with an intensely powerful processor coupled with a very long battery life, which will definitely come in handy if you are recording a live event and might not be anywhere near a power point.
It also comes with powerful USB 3.0 ports that are amazing when it comes to transferring files from one place to another instantaneously - introducing the Gigabyte Aero 17.
This comes with a high-definition screen that is great for being able to track your music files and playing multiple sessions at any one time. This comes with 6 Gb of RAM, which will make short work of mixing down demos or full productions super quickly to get to your musicians or record labels.
This laptop is great as part of your home studio setup, giving you the ability to plug in and record. You can also take this laptop away with you, ideal if you are working between studios or have established a floating studio setup. It has a great sound that can actually be connected to separate high-definition speakers.
- This laptop comes with great sound capabilities, you can either have it pumping out your music through separate surround sound speakers or opt for the internal speakers, which have just as much sound capabilities.
- This comes with a GeForce graphics card, which will not ensure that you will have no audio latency issues, but will also make sure that you’ll have a very small amount of audio feedback.
- The design - this laptop is very flat, so you can easily slip it into a bag and have it as overhead storage on the train from one studio to another. If you consider yourself a ‘traveling producer’, then this will be the perfect option for you.
- This laptop comes with plenty of audio input and output options, with surround sound available in headphones, internal speakers and the ability to connect to a separate sound system.
- Some users have complained that the fan does not provide the correct amount of cooling and this laptop will overheat if it has too many programs open at any one time.
This laptop comes with a very thin case but with a very solid aluminum construction that will certainly give you everything that you need for a solid workspace.
If you are using FL Studio, then you can be sure that this laptop will be able to run it at full steam with absolutely no negative effects - introducing the Aorus 15G (XB) Performance Gaming Laptop.
This laptop has a very crystal clear screen along with some of the best battery life currently available on the market. With 8 hours of battery life running at full speed, you won’t have to worry about your laptop giving out on you during a crucial mixing session.
This laptop boasts zero lagging issues, which is perfect for sound editing. Having that smooth playback will be very important, as you won’t want to mistake an audio glitch for something wrong with the recording and have to start again from scratch. This has a dual cooling system that will ensure that your laptop does not overheat.
- The design - this is a super-thin laptop made from durable metal materials. If you are worried about your laptop breaking when you are on public transport, then having one made from super-strong metal will definitely assuage your anxieties.
- This comes with a cooling system that is underneath the main keyboard, which is very important for keeping everything running very smoothly.
- This has a very durable glass screen, which will be more resistant to glass breakages from droppages, which is very important if you are going to be traveling with your laptop across large distances.
- This comes with a super affordable graphics card, which is not only great for streaming movies and playing games, but it will also majorly reduce your audio lagging issues and make sure that audio playback is very smooth.
- Some users have complained that they’ve had to replace the dual fan system multiple times.
This next laptop has a very cool vapor chamber that will give you optimal thermal performance. This heat is then dispersed as condensation, which then travels out of the computer using fluid. This is probably the fastest-running computer on this list and is perfect for running multiple programs at once - introducing the Razer Blade Pro 17 Gaming Laptop.
This has wonderful AI features that are very intuitive, closing down certain background programs that might be sapping the overall speed of your computer. This comes with great wifi speed and built-in memory that will make sending files over long distances a complete cinch!
This computer boasts that it can run even the most CPU-intensive programs, so if you have FL Studios and effects preset open at the same time, then you can be sure that it will not slow down, stutter or freeze on you altogether.
CPU power is probably one of the most important things for professional studio mixers, giving you everything that you need for super-smooth performance.
- The design - this laptop is super thin and can be stored in most carry cases. If you are traveling between studios, then having this portability will be very important.
- Lightweight - this is a featherweight unit, which will be very important when it comes to traveling with your laptop. You won’t want anything that weighs you down or causes potential injury.
- This has an Intel processor, which is extremely powerful. It will give you the ability of not only keeping your FL Studios running smoothly but also any other effects presets that you have running at the same time.
- This computer comes with a great built-in wi-fi capability, so you won’t have to worry about slow transfer times, which could ultimately lead to a sizable delay in the overall production.
- Some users have complained that they do not get great customer service with this company and are often left hanging when they experience an issue with their laptop.
Best Laptops For FL Studio Buying Guide
There are numerous things you’ll be looking for when running FL Studios on your laptop. Here are just a few basic features that your laptop will need to have:
For running FL Studios, we would certainly recommend that you pick a laptop that has at least a dual-core Intel processor.
This way you can be sure that it will be able to handle running multiple different tasks at once, a common issue that a lot of producers will have experienced.
Having a laptop that is sleek and compact will be very important when it comes to portability.
You’ll want something lightweight and durable if you are going to be traveling a lot between different studios and venues.
Obviously, the sound output will be very important, but so will the display. You’ll need to be able to see the various waveforms on your computer, as well as identifying and visual discrepancies that will be not doing you any favors.
Best Laptops For FL Studio - FAQ's
Does Sound Quality Matter For FL Studios?
It goes without saying that yes, sound quality matters a lot when it comes to music production.
You’ll want something that can broadcast the bass, mid-range and high tones, if necessary. Having a producer’s ear is one thing, but if you have hardware that is letting you down, then you can all but guarantee a poor sound in your final mix.
We would also recommend that you choose a laptop that can hook up to wireless surround sound speakers, which will give you a much clearer sound when you’re editing.
Our Final Say
We hope that our list of the best laptops for FL Studio will help you to decide which is the best one for your audio production needs.
You’ll need something that has the performance chops to be able to handle multiple different programs running at any one time.