Laptops are one of the most diverse subgenres of computing currently out there. You can find various laptops from all different brands: from Apple to Windows to Linux. These things are very portable, as well as lightweight and easy to transport from work to your local cafe.
But why buy a fanless laptop? Well, if you are struggling to carry it to and from work, then it might an option, as a laptop that does not have a fan is much more lightweight.
Also, these fanless laptops are a lot easier to store, as they are a lot smaller. You’ll be able to carry them in your rucksack or even a large purse.
Another great plus point for a fanless laptop is the fact that it has a much longer battery life than some of the juice-guzzling fan-powered options.
A fanless laptop also gives you a quieter running, which will be great for anyone who lives in a family home who might not want to keep their family up until all hours of the night.
So where can you find the best fanless laptops? What features and materials do a fanless laptop need to be made from to give you a consistent performance? How much should you have to pay for a decent fanless laptop?
Well, if you want to pick up one of these amazing pieces of equipment, we would certainly encourage you to read on.
We’ve compiled a list of some of the best fanless laptops that you can currently find on the market. We also have a buyer’s guide and some frequently asked questions that will help you differentiate between the good and bad fanless laptops.
OUR TOP PICK
This first fanless laptop is by the famous brand Apple and the chances are that you might have heard about it already. This unit is very lightweight, which is perfect if you want to take it as carry-on for your next overseas flight.
It also has an amazing battery life, so you won’t have to worry about locating a charge point - Apple MacBook Air.
This laptop has some of the more top-of-the-range features, with an 8th Gen i3 processor and a 256GB SSD card.
This is great if you want to download your own movies and TV shows quickly and efficiently, with completely smooth playback. It has quiet running too, so you won’t have to worry about watching things at night.
Having SSD drives makes this far more functional than laptops that just have a traditional HD. SSD stands for ‘solid state drive’ and this means that there are far fewer internal moving parts, which means more storage and faster running.
- You can run plenty of programs at the same time with this laptop, so you won’t have to worry about any lagging or glitching issues.
- This laptop will have to be repaired fewer times than some of the others that you can find, simply because it has far fewer internal mechanisms.
- This has a great keyboard that you can use for fast typing, which is great if you are mainly using your laptop for writing and other such low-key tasks.
- This comes with thunderbolt ports, which are basically super-fast transfer ports, which is great if you plan on transporting your larger files from one place to another.
- This has a great monitor with a 2560 x 1600 display screen, which gives you true colors and plenty of picture clarity.
- This laptop comes with plenty of great features, but unfortunately, that comes with a price. You should only consider this laptop if you have a few hundred dollars to spare.
This next laptop is probably one of the most versatile that we have on this list, with a very lightweight design that makes it akin to carrying around a tablet or a smartphone.
However, the main selling point of this laptop is the fact that you can convert it into a traditional laptop or use it as a tablet - introducing the Microsoft Surface Pro 6.
This is an amazing laptop that you can either use for playing games or more complex activities like streaming from Netflix or torrenting.
It has great performance, with a top-notch Gen i7 processor, 16GB RAM and over 1TB of SSD storage space. This is great for things like photo editing or playing video.
If you are going to play video, then you can’t go wrong with this laptop, as it has a really wonderful screen resolution.
The SSD drives will make sure that your laptop will be fully up and running in seconds. You can even buy a pressure pen and use it with the touch screen to create some wonderful digital art.
- This is great for streaming videos and films from places like Netflix and Amazon Prime, just because it doesn’t have a fan, that doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to operate at full capacity.
- This will give you great true color and resolution, which is ideal if you want to watch the latest movies in all their natural glory.
- This laptop converts into a traditional screen and keyboard setup or can function as a touch screen tablet. This makes it a great unit if you’re on the go or in the office.
- This tablet has around 8-10 hours of battery life, which is great if you are traveling by train or plane and might not have access to a power point.
- This comes with a front camera that is very high definition and is perfect for use with Skype and Zoom sessions.
- This laptop has very low disk space, so you might have to make sure that you have a backup on something like Google Drive.
This next laptop is very good for both pricing and durability. This has aluminum hinges across the metal, so you won’t have to worry about damage from frequently switching between using it as a laptop or a tablet.
This comes with an SSD that gives you plenty of wonderful storage and well as performance speed - introducing the HP 2-in1 Convertible Chromebook.
This laptop comes with a one-year accidental damage policy, which will give you peace of mind if you ever have to leave it unattended and kids and pets are scurrying around.
This is a 2-in1 laptop, so if you want to take it on the train with you or you fancy having the flexibility and control of a keyboard, this is a great unit.
This has superlative performance capabilities, with a quad-core processor and an Intel Graphics card that will give you more than enough to have your kids play on.
This is also another great laptop to use for playing movies in crystal clear high definition. It will also stream your Netflix and Amazon without glitches.
- You can get a lot of subscriptions with this Chromebook, along with Office 365, which is great if you are writing or doing copy work.
- This comes with a might 128GB SSD card, so you can be certain of reliable playback and a clear picture. It can store huge amounts of data, which is perfect for torrenting.
- This laptop has wonderful security features, including a fingerprint recognition system that will get you into your laptop in no time at all.
- This laptop is in the ultra-lightweight category, which will reduce the amount of strain on both your muscles and your handbag.
- This laptop has a great battery life - you can run it for 6 continuous hours before it starts to run out of juice.
- The keyboard on this laptop is slightly cramped, so you might find yourself frequently miss-hitting certain keys, which will certainly be an issue if you are a fast typer.
This next Chromebook is another 2-in-1 flip model, giving you the ability to use it as both a laptop and a tablet device.
This makes it a great unit to take camping with you, allowing you to snuggle up under your sleeping bag and watch some of your favorite pre-downloaded horror films (that’s if you’re brave enough) - introducing the ASUS Vivobook Flip.
This Chromebook is extremely durable, with diamond-cut edges and a silver finish that will be able to withstand any hard impact.
This Chromebook is not slow either, with a beefy processor, you can be sure that all your files and movies and streamed TV shows will be able to play with liquid smoothness.
This is great for having good performance, with an 87% screen ratio that will give you more viewing pleasure for your money.
It has 64GB of storage, but it also comes with a free 1-year subscription to Google One, which offers you a further 100GB of storage space. This is amazing if you want somewhere to store your film files.
- This is a very lightweight laptop, perfect for carrying around on the bus or train if you want something to play your own movies on as you travel.
- This comes with plenty of storage space, so if you are an avid torrenter, then we can certainly recommend that you pick up this convertible laptop.
- This comes with a great high-resolution display, giving you everything that you need for crystal clear image quality - you won’t be able to tell the difference between this screen and the widescreen HD one you’ll find at home.
- The battery life for this laptop is great - you can get upwards of 8-10 hours of battery life.
- This will also charge a lot faster than other laptops, which is great if you are in a rush and need your laptop charged in time for a long-haul business flight.
- This Chromebook is generally not compatible with Windows operating systems, so you might have to think twice if you are using one of these.
This final laptop comes with great durable construction and performance - with an SSD storage and magnesium alloy body, you can be certain that you’ll be able to carry your files across the country with the utmost safety.
It comes with 4GB of memory, which is good for applications that are not too taxing - introducing the ASUS 10.1-inch Transformer Mini.
You can have upwards of 12 hours of video playback on this device, which is great if you want to watch more than one video in quick succession.
It also comes with a stand that you can use to mount it, meaning that you can fall asleep in safety watching your favorite shows. This has a micro USB port that is perfect for backing up your files.
This has no built-in fan, so you won’t have to worry about waking the rest of your family up at night.
It also comes with a stylus, so if you want to practice drawing on a digital canvas, then all you have to do is plug it into the stand and apply the pen using the touch screen features.
- This has wonderful connectivity, with numerous USB ports and wireless capabilities that will allow you to transfer small and medium-sized files fairly quickly.
- This has a detachable stand that you can use for a hands-free operation - this will mean that you won’t have to keep your tablet held in your hands through the duration of your film.
- This has a very good battery life, so you won’t have to worry about your laptop giving up the ghost halfway through a long movie.
- The stylus will allow you to engage in plenty of digital drawings, and this is certainly a great model for any artists that don’t want to waste too much paper.
- This comes with a very healthy battery life of around 12 hours - this is great if you are planning on traveling for long distances.
- Some users have complained that this display has very poor sharpness in the display, which might be irritating if you are playing movies.
Best Fanless Laptops Buying Guide
A fanless laptop has limited abilities, especially when you compare it to that of a regular laptop. It can run small and medium-sized programs with very little issue at all.
It can also do a really great job at streaming Netflix and Amazon, which is great for snuggling up at night in bed.
Here are some things that you’ll be looking for from a fanless laptop:
Having no fan whirring around inside, these laptops are much quieter than the traditional model of laptop.
This is great if you are living in a small apartment and don’t want to wake up your other housemates.
Lightweight And Compact Design
This will be much easier for you to carry to and from work. Having a lightweight option will reduce the repetitive strain that you’ll be putting on your arms and wrists.
If you are already carrying a lot of stuff, then reducing the amount of weight will be important for making your day a lot less draining.
Decent Battery Life
Battery life is one of the perennial issues for laptops, with many users looking for something that will last you for at least 10 hours on a continuous charge.
This is because a lot of people like to travel and work or watch movies on a long-haul flight or bus journey.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Does A Fanless Laptop Work?
A fanless laptop contains low-watt processors that do not generate much heat. The heat that is generated is dispersed through the thin and wide body of the laptop itself.
Because the laptop is made from steel, the heat is dispersed a lot quicker and it does not run the risk of overheating like some other laptops.
Does An SSD Require A Fan?
Generally, SSDs do require fans, as they along with the other internal components of your laptop will produce a lot of heat and require some cooling down.
However, the SSD cards that you can find in Chromebooks run at a very low wattage, producing a low level of heat that won’t need a fan to stay cool.
Will It Be Better For Your Laptop To Have A Fan?
This all depends on what you want to use the laptop for. If you are doing small things like typing in Microsoft Word or streaming videos from Netflix, then you probably won’t need a fan.
However, if you are editing large video files or producing music, the chances are that you will need a laptop that contains a decent fan.